The Trailer Mechanic is a hands-on position that ensures the safe and efficient utilization of all trailers and logistics vehicles. This position serves a critical role in the transport and delivery of high quality food and fuel products to customers all over the world.
The highest levels of PRODUCTION and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership. People in this key role:
- Diligently endeavor to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all tasks required to support the Production and Logistics groups in the efficient operation of trailers and product transport vehicles.
- Efficiently diagnoses equipment malfunctions and operating difficulties, makes repairs and adjustments in order to achieve optimum equipment up-time.
- Ensures production needs are met through efficient and effective diagnosis, repair and proactive maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment and systems.
- Timely and accurately makes updates to the computerized maintenance software system (MAPCON).
- Shop planning and scheduling.
- Continuously seek out additional value-add opportunities for the organization.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, and seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements.
- Use, inspection, and care of vehicles, equipment, and tools to include test equipment, lab equipment, industrial trucks, production equipment and man lifts.
- Adherence to safety procedures, GMP’s, and the use of PPE such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, harnesses, respiratory masks, etc.
WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY AND BENCH STRENGTH are significantly greater due to:
- A proactive commitment to learn processes and maintenance techniques and expand capabilities in order to strengthen contributions to the organization.
- Continuous vigilance in identifying and executing needed repairs or additions/improvements to the facilities’ operating systems to increase productivity.
- Committed and unfailing support for co-workers, production personnel, and all other team members working to achieve operational excellence.
- Sharing information with fellow employees.
- Work collaboratively with others
- Build positive relationship with partners.
- Following company work policies.
- Demonstrate the company’s core values.
- Represent the company in a positive and professional way.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Steadfast adherence to all safety procedures at all times.
- A positive, proactive demeanor resulting in superior teamwork and collaboration with team members while demonstrating a commitment to excellence.
- High School Graduate, GED, or equivalent experience is desired.
- Prior trailer maintenance experience is preferred, including:
- Air control valves
- Electrical wiring and trailer lights
- Brake systems
- DOT inspections
- Excellent mechanical aptitude.
- Basic welding skills, aluminum and steel.
- Strong diagnostic skills (hands-on preferred).
- Ability to problem-solve and develop creative solutions.
- Flexible and able to work with hoppers, pneumatics, van, oil tankers and flatbeds.
- Ability to operate a computer to enter work orders, parts requests and shop schedules.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Ability to safely work aloft (heights over 20’) including ladders, man lifts, harnesses, equipment tops and scaffolding on occasion.
- Ability to enter confined spaces, following all safety procedures, while in performance of job duties on occasion.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.