Quality Lab Technician (Day Shift)
The Markesan Quality Associate is critical in ensuring the highest levels of safety, food safety, quality, and customer satisfaction in the mill production areas. The position requires attention to detail, time management and adherence to GMP practices and performance of routine laboratory procedures. Employees entering into the Markesan Quality Associate role are expected to be responsible for keeping up with demand while actively and purposefully grow their skill set to potentially grow within their role and the company. This position covers the assigned shift that corresponds with production.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Development and ownership of all aspects the Markesan Safety Culture. Safety Maturity is advanced through constant development of safe behaviors, procedures and systems.
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, GMP’s, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements, and use PPE when required such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, respiratory masks, etc.
- Ensure compliance to highest level of food safety by conducting QA and production quality checks according to policies, exceeding customer expectations, adherence to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) and actively participate in prevention and correction of quality-related errors. While maintaining appropriate records on all food safety activities.
- Absolute adherence to safety procedures with use, inspection, and care of lab equipment.
The highest levels of QUALITY and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership. People in this key role:
- Efficiently and accurately test finished product blends.
- Efficiently and accurately verify facility in-process paperwork.
- Perform inspections including pre-operative and food safety – document and communicate results.
- Perform daily operating Inspections of pack line as needed to assure compliance with GMP’s and regulatory requirements.
- Perform quality checks on the following:
- Bag seals
- Code markings
- Weight checks
- Metal detector/X-Ray verification.
- Magnet and Screen checks
- Accurately enter lab results for finished product testing into Didion’s Document Control System.
- Train new or backup QA team members on all Quality Associate duties.
- Consistently complete and enforce compliance in all areas for GMP, food safety, safety, and sanitation.
- Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality, or personnel safety.
- Daily review of operations production and regulatory records.
- Creating a climate that respects and values each team member’s individual contributions.
- Ability to interact and to manage conflict in stressful situations while maintaining composure, perspective and respect.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work with others to achieve desired results.
- Personally committed to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all tasks required to support the Quality group in the efficient operation of the lab.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- High School Graduate, GED, or equivalent experience. Technical school certificate or degree in related field a plus, but not required.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment, in particular a food safe environment, a plus. 1-2 years of prior quality assurance experience is preferred but will train the right motivated individual.
- General computer competency required including typing, web browser, and Microsoft Office; competency of Intelex and documentation databases or ability to learn required.
- Ability to work autonomously using critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to complete assigned tasks safely without supervision.
- Demonstrate ownership of job function and area equipment.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and collaborative, team player approach.
- Ability to proactively drive continuous improvement project creation and execution.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to quality department.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders is required.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task, prioritize, make decisions, and troubleshoot multiple equipment and processes that requires attention to detail.
- Ability to accurately collect and test product samples and analyze against standards to determine if corrective action is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIROMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to lift 55 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.
- Have dexterity and ability to maneuver equipment in tight working spaces.
Watch Our Story
- Electrical & Controls
- Finance & Accounting
- Grain Team
- Human Development
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance
- Supply Chain & Procurement