Laboratory Technician (Night Shift)
The Line Laboratory Technician is critical in ensuring the highest levels of safety, food safety, quality, and customer satisfaction in the mill production areas. The position requires attention to detail, time management and adherence to GMP practices and performance of routine laboratory procedures. Employees entering into the Line Laboratory Technician role are expected to be responsible for keeping up with demand while actively and purposefully grow their skill set to potentially grow within their role and the company.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Development and ownership of all aspects the Mill Safety Culture. Safety Maturity is advanced through constant development of safe behaviors, procedures and systems.
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, GMP’s, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements, and use PPE when required such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, respiratory masks, etc.
- Ensure compliance to highest level of food safety not limited to filling in the appropriate documentation.
- Absolute adherence to safety procedures with use, inspection, and care of lab equipment.
The highest levels of QUALITY and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership. People in this key role:
- Efficiently and accurately test finished product blends.
- Efficiently and accurately verify mill in-process samples in both in-process and main labs.
- Perform Inspections including Pre-Operative and Food Safety – document and communicate results.
- Perform Daily Operating Inspections of pack line as needed to assure compliance with GMP’s and regulatory requirements.
- Perform quality checks on the following:
- Seal and bag
- Code markings
- Weight checks
- Metal detector verification in Pack and Loadout.
- Accurately enter lab results for in-process and finished product samples into ASC.
- Efficiently acquire and deliver finished product samples to the main lab for testing.
- Train new lab techs on all Line Tech duties.
- Routinely perform allergen testing during changeovers on all shared equipment.
- Consistently complete and enforce compliance in all areas for GMP, food safety, safety and sanitation.
- Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Daily review of operations production and regulatory records.
- Creating a climate that respects and values each team member’s individual contributions.
- Ability to interact and to manage conflict in stressful situations while maintaining composure and perspective.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work with others to achieve desired results.
- Perform physical and chemical analyses including, but not limited to, NIR, granulations, viscosity, RVA, and Bostwick (hot and cold).
- Cross trained in all lab tech positions.
- Personally committed to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all tasks required to support the Quality group in the efficient operation of the lab.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED). 1-2 years of prior quality assurance experience is preferred but will train the right motivated individual.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders is required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to quality department.
- A positive, proactive demeanor resulting in a passion for excellence while being humbly confident and displaying a can do attitude knowing that good isn’t good enough.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task, prioritize, make decisions, and troubleshoot multiple equipment and processes that requires attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously using critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to complete assigned tasks safely without supervision.
- General computer competency required including typing, web browser, and Microsoft Office; competency of Intelex and ASC software or ability to learn required.
- Ability to accurately collect and test product samples and analyze against standards to determine if corrective action is required.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and collaborative, team player approach.
- Ability to proactively drive continuous improvement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.
Watch Our Story
- Electrical & Controls
- Human Development
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance
- Safety & Environmental