Ethanol Senior Process Engineer
The Ethanol Senior Process Engineer is a hands-on technical role that is critical in leading all engineering efforts in collaboration with the operating teams across multiple shifts to contribute the highest levels of safety, quality, and operational efficiency in the production of alcohol products. The Ethanol Senior Process Engineer is cross-trained in multiple tasks to increase contributions to the organization, enhance production flexibility and readiness, while also providing job enrichment and growth opportunities to incumbents. This role is exempt working a general Monday-Friday day shift with expectations for flexibility for business needs.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, GMP’s, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements, and use PPE when required such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, harnesses, respiratory masks, etc.
- Ensure compliance to highest level of food safety not limited to filling in the appropriate documentation like return to service checklists, etc.
- Absolute adherence to safety procedures with use, inspection, and care of vehicles, equipment, and tools to include test equipment, lab equipment, industrial trucks, production equipment and man lifts.
- Support incident/injury investigations through detailed root cause analysis techniques to assist in prevention.
The highest levels of PRODUCTION and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership. People in this key role:
- Committed and unfailing engineering support for alcohol production through plant technical expertise of the ethanol facility; the Ethanol Senior Process Engineer will be responsible for engineering process capabilities, process design, process changes, process trouble shooting, and project management, and is integral to executing engineering projects to produce a high quality product on time to our customers’ specifications and expectations.
- Use best practice Project Management techniques to lead all designated engineering projects across all shifts based on in-depth understanding of current CapEx budget and initiatives that will result in the highest levels of operational efficiencies.
- Reviews CapEx and project schedules and relevant work order requests to make decisions concerning engineering needs and priorities with input and collaboration with the Ethanol Plant Manager.
- Attends and conducts team member meetings as necessary to discuss plant needs and troubleshoots production issues as related to engineering (both unit operations and control systems). Ensures that implementation of corrective actions identified occur.
- Leads meetings or supports all Root Cause Analysis and Audit activities and insures timely corrective actions and closures of any findings related to engineering.
- Embraces and uses technology to drive more efficient operation of the plant. Ensures that production team is fully trained and utilizing available technology as it relates to engineering.
- Acts as technical lead of the Ethanol Facility on new product innovations including understanding all applicable process technology, equipment and control technology; supports plant operations by providing technical assistance in problem solving.
- Review key plant metrics and confer with technical or administrative staff including Ethanol Production or Plant Manager to resolve production or processing problems related to engineering.
- Has ownership of the Ethanol Plant OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) System to capture, analyze and report on operational efficiency losses in uptime, rate, quality and yield.
- Successfully work within cross functional teams to improve process systems to insure customer satisfaction and to optimize operations to meet plant and company goals.
- Calculate required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submit data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Analyze test results in relation to design or rated specifications and test objectives, and modify or adjust equipment to meet specifications.
- Devise, fabricate, and assemble new or modified mechanical components for products such as industrial machinery or equipment, and measuring instruments.
- Discuss changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinate corrections.
- Provides six sigma methodology and technical support to projects; identifies production bottlenecks, tries to resolve it by Lean Methodologies or identifying potential process improvements. Identifying and solving highly developmental problems of an original nature using Kepner-Tregoe and Lean problem-solving techniques.
- Conceiving long range development strategies (2-3) years involving numerous trials and numerous process decisions of a major nature and executing these strategies to produce desired business results in terms of quality and operating costs.
- Assist with the training responsibilities required to ensure that an effective operating team is in place at the time process changes.
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive quality control program that guarantees feed forward quality while minimizing waste with a predictive-based operating management system. The control strategy will be based on new developments in on-line testing.
- Ensure that the environmental design and operations are within compliance of the standards of the Corporation and government.
- Unfailingly prepare and maintain project documents such as scope, proposal, project justification, budgets, equipment and device list.
- Review project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Review project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and test nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Prepare PID’s, PFD, general arrangement and equipment layout drawing.
- Continuously incorporates safety, sanitation, good manufacturing practices HACCP and code requirements into design work.
- Proactively strive to maintain an up to date awareness of federal, state and local engineering codes and regulations.
- Set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.
- Proactively supports development and implementation of best practices and most effective technology including assisting R&D in the development of new systems and processes.
- A proactive commitment to growing and expanding skill set through training and education leading toward expert competency in use of engineering technologies, Mapcon, leadership, development of team members, understanding department budget, superior communication skills, and professionalism.
- Personally committed to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all engineering tasks required to support the milling facility group in the efficient operation of the plant.
- Participates in performance management through coaching and feedback sessions with team members.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- A Bachelor degree in an engineering discipline, chemical or mechanical engineering preferred; equivalent work experience or current enrollment in an engineering program in lieu of degree considered.
- Hands on experience in an industrial manufacturing environment required. Experience in a similar alcohol manufacturing environment is highly desired.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive engineering experience working with manufacturing teams successfully leading engineering projects including demonstration of excellent interpersonal skills including communication, informal leadership, training production and maintenance personnel, and project management; willingness to seek continuing education toward development of leadership abilities.
- Strong technical skills including experience in R&D, capital project management, lean manufacturing, hands on troubleshooting, preventative maintenance programs, pneumatic conveyance, air handling systems, pumping systems, filtration.
- Experience successfully using six sigma methodology, lean methodologies, and gradual reduction processes; green belt certification desired.
- Experience with change management and engagement work processes to drive effective implementation of improvement initiatives.
- Advanced computer competency required including typing, web browser, Microsoft Office, and AutoCad; competency of CMMS software or ability to learn required.
- Experience in using data to drive engineering projects and improvements coupled with strong knowledge of manufacturing processes is required.
- Advanced critical thinking and troubleshooting skills to be used for strategic planning in leading production team toward efficient completion of engineering goals.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to maintenance department. Spanish skills desired.
- A positive, proactive demeanor resulting in a passion for excellence while being humbly confident and displaying a can do attitude knowing that good isn’t good enough.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIROMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to lift 55 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Ability to safely work aloft (heights over 20’) including ladders, man lifts, harnesses, equipment tops and scaffolding.
- Ability to enter confined spaces, following all safety procedures, while in performance of job duties.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.
- Have dexterity and ability to maneuver equipment in tight working spaces.
Watch Our Story
- Administration & Reception
- Electrical & Controls
- Grain Team
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance
- Safety & Environmental