Ethanol Quality Lab Manager
The Ethanol QA Lab Manager provides leadership and direction for fermentation, water treatment, and lab operations at the Ethanol Plant. The position has direct responsibility for the function of the Ethanol QA Laboratory and serves as the Feed Safety Team Leader for the Ethanol Plant as well as providing direction for regulatory compliance. This individual will serve as the primary technical representative to vendors and suppliers. The Ethanol QA Lab Manager works closely with Operations, CREGS, Sales, and Accounting. Coaching and communication skills, both written and oral, are necessary for successful fulfillment of the position.
The Ethanol QA Lab Manager will have a commitment to and ownership of the fermentation process, feed safety and quality functions. An effective Ethanol QA Lab Manager:
- Provides leadership and direction to achieve superior fermentation results.
- Serves as the Feed Safety Team Leader and provides leadership of the FSSMA program. Coaches technical and manufacturing personnel on GMP and feed safety practices.
- Provides supervision of the QA Laboratory and provides direction in testing procedures and practices.
- Provided direction for the operation of water treatment systems (boilers, cooling towers, reverse osmosis, and green sand filters).
- Provides data analysis of fermentation and quality trends.
- Provides direction and decisions plant sanitation and CIP procedures.
- Leads the feed safety program. This requires communication with and training for personnel involved with FSSMA.
- Serves as the primary regulatory contact for feed safety and is the in-house reference for feed regulatory compliance.
- Is responsible for developing and overseeing the Quality Assurance, Laboratory, Enzymes, and Chemicals Budget.
WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY AND BENCH STRENGTH are significantly greater due to:
- A proactive commitment to employee development through establishing training, on-the-job development, and mentoring activities.
- Proactively seeks opportunities for improving feed safety, quality and sanitation through close observation of the ethanol plant and working with plant personnel
- Serves as the champion for creating a departmental culture committed to achieving unfailing support for team members working to achieve operational excellence.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor degree in microbiology, chemistry, bacteriology or biology from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Ideal candidate will have experience with fermentation optimization, continuous improvement and quality, preferably in the Ethanol industry.
- Finished product quality control experience preferred.
- Potential to and/or experience leading a technical team. Completion of Didion Leadership Academy 1.0 courses is required for this position.
- Experienced with implementing and maintaining FSSMA programs.
- Essential personal attributes include: professional, ethical, passionate, participative and inclusive leadership style, strong communication skills, creative and solutions-oriented.
- Must be skilled at solving practical problems and dealing with variables.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills are required, including data analysis.
- Demonstrated experience following established processes, ideally in a manufacturing environment with a strong safety culture.
- Ability to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior and present a positive and professional image within the plant.
- High degree of attention to detail and initiative to act on what you see.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and collaborative, team player approach.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to the Ethanol Plant.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to lift 55 pounds repetitively.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.
Watch Our Story
- Computer Sciences
- Construction and Millwright
- Contractor Role
- Electrical and Controls
- Grain Team
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance
- Safety and Environmental