Corporate Food Safety and Quality Assurance Leader
The Corporate Food Safety and Quality Leader provides leadership and direction for the food safety and food quality function for all plants in the value chain at Didion. The position has direct responsibility for the function of the Q.A. Laboratory and serves as the Food Safety Team Leader for the company as well as providing direction for regulatory compliance. This individual will serve as the primary technical representative with customers and suppliers. The Corporate Food Safety and Quality Manager works closely with Manufacturing, R&D, Sales, Customer Service and the Raw Corn Processing Facility. Strong coaching and communication skills, both written and oral, are necessary to be successful in this position.
The Corporate Food Safety and Quality Leader will have a commitment to and ownership of the food safety and quality functions. An effective Corporate Food Safety and Quality Leader:
- Serves as the Food Safety Team Leader and provides leadership of the HACCP program. Coaches technical and manufacturing personnel on GMP and food safety practices.
- Oversees the supervision of the QA Laboratory and provides direction in testing procedures and practices in collaboration with the QA Supervisor
- Provides data analysis of food safety and quality trends
- Provides direction and decisions on the disposition of in-process and finished products
- Leads the FSSC food safety program. This requires communication with and training for team members involved with FSSC.
- Serves as the primary regulatory contact for food safety and is the in-house expert for food regulatory compliance.
- Assists the Sales team by:
- Working directly with customers on product technical or product performance issues
- Accompanying the sales team on visits to current and prospective customers
- Developing relationships with customer groups
- Leading the QA role during customer visits and audits
- Provides oversight and direction of the plant sanitation in collaboration with the Food Safety and Technical Superintendent
- Is responsible for developing and overseeing the Quality Assurance Budget
- Provides Quality Assurance perspective for company strategic planning
Workforce flexibility and bench strength are significantly greater due to:
- A proactive commitment to employee development through establishing training, on-the-job development, and mentoring
- Proactively seeking opportunities for improving food safety, quality and sanitation through close observation of the mill and working with mill personnel
- Serving as the champion for creating a departmental culture committed to achieving consistent support for team members working to achieve operational excellence
Requirements to help ensure success:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor degree in food science, milling science, chemistry, bacteriology or biology from a four-year college or university
- Minimum of five years of experience in a leadership role in food manufacturing quality assurance. Experience managing professional level and leadership roles is required.
- Experience with multiple manufacturing processes, including dry processing, preferred
- Having an engaging personality, being customer solution focused and passion for coaching and developing people
- Knowledgeable of the GFSI food safety schemes (FSSC, SQF, BRC or IFS)
- Experience with implementing and maintaining HACCP programs
- General knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations and CFRs pertaining to food manufacturing
- Essential personal attributes include: being professional, ethical and passionate
- Having a participative and inclusive leadership style, strong communication skills, creativity and being solutions-oriented
- A strong desire and passion for constant improvement and making learning fun for crew members
- Knowledge to solve practical problems and ability to deal with variables
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills
- A keen desire to make a difference