The CAD Designer is a hands-on role that is critical for successful implementation of projects at Didion supporting the production of commercial ethanol and milled corn-based products. Working as part of the engineering team, the CAD Designer/Drafter develops and maintains 2D / 3D models, detail drawings, and other documentation to support product design and Didion’s manufacturing processes
This role typical works a general Monday-Friday day shift with expectations for flexibility for business needs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Update existing AutoCad Drawings (P&ID’s, Electrical, Instrument (Loops), Mechanical, Architectural, Piping, Structural, isometric, and Orthographic).
- Generate new AutoCad Drawings to support Site projects. Perform area walkdown and measurements to assist in the project scoping/design process. Develop sketches or drawings (area layout, piping isometrics, orthographic, etc.) needed to assist in the design process.
- Manage and improve Drawing Database, ensuring the most up-to-date drawings are available immediately, and accessible by all, for rapid crisis response, timely troubleshooting, and speedy manufacturing review.
- Administer and enhance, Didion drawing guidelines and workflows. Train other users, to maintain drawing consistency. Work with others to ensure redlines are efficiently incorporated to ensure an up-to-date drawing database.
- Enter and maintain bill of material (BOM) and item master data.
- Assist Engineering in completing project closeouts and equipment documentation.
- Follow Didion Engineering Standards and assist in Engineering Change Order closings.
- Independently field verify drawing accuracy and perform walk down’s and redlining of existing P&ID’s, creating new ones when necessary. Establish an internal drawing audit system.
- Assist in equipment, piping, and instrument labeling.
- Act a Didion Job Supervisor (KJS) and execute small projects.
- Possesses problem-solving and interpersonal skills to enable the implementation of solutions and project completion on small projects with limited supervision or direction.
- Provide data entry for Instrument and Equipment databases.
- Assist with purchasing of project equipment and instrumentation.
- Capable of working in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Administer revision control for product configurations, from pilot phase to obsolescence.
- Support teams in document/drawing generation and updates using CAD tools and/or word processing programs.
- Provide technical assistance to manufacturing, product management, marketing, and other team members.
- Perform routine housekeeping to ensure area operates within parameters that conform to environmental and safety standards.
- Associate Degree in Computer Aided Design or related degree
- 3+ years working experience in Food/Chemical/Manufacturing Facility
- 5+ years related experience with AutoCAD (release 2010 and above)
- Proficiency with generating and editing 2D drawings in AutoCAD using advanced techniques as well as 3D systems such as Solid Works or Revit.
- Experience with Process (P&ID’s), Mechanical (Piping/Equipment Layouts), Electrical (One-Lines, Instrument Loops), and Facility (Plot Plan, Area Electrical Classification, etc.) drawings.
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to design fabrications for approval.
- Able to read and interpret piping & valve specifications and P&IDs and perform field verifications.
- Independent, goal-oriented, team player, interested in learning. Detail-oriented with ability to work efficiently. Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to create isometric and orthographic piping / equipment drawings.
- Willingness to be involved with non-drafting duties, such as field site assessment and layout, basic office duties, and field work.
- Working knowledge of standard mechanical drafting practices, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing fundamentals.
- Technical writing skills for specifications and general communication.
- Must be detail oriented and able to maintain technical accuracy in a multi-tasking environment.
- Periodic lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Alternates between sitting, standing, and moving within the work area.
- Must be able to manipulate equipment used in performance of tasks.
- Works in an office environment with regular exposure to the manufacturing floor.
Employee Core Competencies:
- Collaborate Across Work Group
- Initiate Positive Change
- Deliver High Quality Results
- Focus on the Customer
- Develops Self & Others