Mill Quality Assurance Manager
The Mill Quality Assurance Manager provides leadership and direction for the food safety and food quality function for the Cambria Mill facility at Didion Milling. The position has direct responsibility for the function of the In-Process Q.A. Laboratory and serves as the Food Safety Team Leader backup for the mill. The Mill QA Manager works closely with Manufacturing, R&D, Sales, Customer Service and Raw Corn Processing. This position leads the site Quality Assurance resources to assure the on-going production of high quality and safe food products that comply with product design and meet or exceed customer expectations. As a member of the Quality Assurance team, the position is responsible to implement quality systems, assure effective change management and drive continuous process improvement. Coaching and communication skills, both written and oral, are necessary for successful fulfillment of the position.
The Mill QA Manager will have a commitment to and ownership of the food safety and quality functions. An effective Mill QA Manager:
- Serves as the Food Safety Team Leader backup. Coaches technical and manufacturing personnel on GMP and food safety practices.
- Oversees the supervision of the In-Process QA Laboratory and provides direction in testing procedures and practices in collaboration with the Food Safety & Quality Manager.
- Provides direction and decisions on the disposition of in-process and finished products.
- Assists in the FSSC food safety program. This requires communication with and training for personnel involved with FSSC.
- Manages all quality assurance, sanitation, pest control and laboratory (technical services) functions for the site.
- Provides direction and influence for the development, implementation and continuous improvement of site quality systems.
- Provides data analysis of food safety and quality trends.
- Ensures compliance to state, federal, and local regulations.
- Actively supporting change management and process improvement.
- Supports the quality and product safety components through quality planning, and by project oversight for compliance to GMP’s and other company policies and standards.
- Supports implementation of new products and continuous quality improvement projects including the effective execution of line trials and execution of process capability evaluations.
- Maintains a safe working environment.
- Assures efficient and accurate testing, reporting, and monitoring of product safety and quality.
- Facilitates internal audits to determine/assess compliance to company policy and regulatory requirements. This includes ensuring work requests are submitted to the Maintenance department and collaborating with Operations partners to resolve opportunities that are discovered.
- Assures that all in-process and finished products produced are safe and conform to the intended product design.
- Maintains systems for checking and verifying process compliance, including but not limited to HACCP, Food Defense, Quality Systems, and Formula Control to provide production departments with tools necessary for daily operations.
- Assists with the development and implementation of plant GMP, Hygiene and Sanitation programs.
- Ensures effective food safety and quality training for plant team members and quality assurance staff. This includes being a mentor and coach to production associates within the facility to show how they impact food safety and food quality.
- Lead Root Cause Analysis investigations to resolve issues identified within our facility, processes, practices, or customer complaints.
- Advises the Plant Management Team on quality trends within the process and recommends appropriate corrective action.
- Facilitates the development of analytical methods and sampling procedures as required within the laboratory.
- Supervises and maintains the Pest Control Program, including fumigations.
WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY AND BENCH STRENGTH are significantly greater due to:
- A proactive commitment to employee development through establishing training, on-the-job development, and mentoring activities.
- Proactively seeks opportunities for improving food safety, quality and sanitation through close observation of the mill and working with mill personnel.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor degree in food science, milling science, chemistry, bacteriology or biology from a four-year college or university.
- Minimum of five years of experience in food manufacturing quality assurance with a minimum of two years of experience in supervisory/management is required.
- Experience with multiple manufacturing processes, including dry processing, preferred.
- Knowledgeable of the GFSI food safety schemes (FSSC, SQF, BRC or IFS).
- General knowledge of FDA and USDA regulations and CFRs pertaining to food manufacturing.
- Essential personal attributes include: professional, ethical, passionate, participative and inclusive leadership style, strong communication skills, creative and solutions-oriented.
- Must work and communicate well with all levels of management, plant workers, and customers.
- Must be skilled at solving practical problems and dealing with variables.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills are required.
- HACCP certification
- FDQI (Food Defense Qualified Individual)
- PCQI (Preventive Controls Qualified Individual) certification.
Watch Our Story
- Administration & Reception
- Electrical & Controls
- Grain Team
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance