Production Planner & Scheduler
The Mill Production Planner & Scheduler is a hands-on role that is critical in ensuring the highest levels of safety, quality, customer service and operational efficiency in the production of grain-based food products.
The Mill Production Planner & Scheduler is cross-trained in multiple tasks that includes both an understanding of manufacturing operations, supply chain and enterprise resource planning techniques and tools to increase contributions to the organization, enhance production flexibility and readiness, while also providing job enrichment and growth opportunities to incumbents.
Employees entering into the Mill Production Planner & Scheduler role are expected to actively and purposefully grow their skill set. Position is salaried generally working a day shift role shift M-F with flexibility for business needs.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, GMP’s, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements, and use PPE when required such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, harnesses, respiratory masks, etc.
- Ensure compliance to highest level of food safety not limited to filling in the appropriate documentation like return to service checklists, etc.
- Absolute adherence to safety procedures with use, inspection, and care of vehicles, equipment, and tools to include test equipment, lab equipment, industrial trucks, production equipment and man lifts.
The highest levels of PRODUCTION and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership.
Planning & Schedule Development and Communication in this key role
- Committed and unfailing planning & scheduling leadership for Didion milling operations and teams working to achieve operational excellence by providing the structure. The Mill Production Planner & Scheduler is a key driver of Didion Supply Chain activities.
- Supports efforts to ensure both the highest levels of order fulfillment, customer satisfaction and operational & supply chain efficiency.
- Develops the plan and executes scheduling activities as required to provide optimum balance of operational efficiency and customer service.
- Leads capacity planning efforts based on updated sales forecasts.
- Directs and manages customers’ orders, material ordering, production scheduling, warehousing, and the administration of these activities.
Systems Leadership in this Key Role
- Manages all workflow documentation and processes within ASC related to Mill, Pack, Bulk Loadout and Shipping through planning and scheduling that ensures transparency across the process so everyone knows what must be done by when.
- Serves as a subject matter expert for ASC by teaching and training employees on how to the system efficiently.
- Effectively communicates schedule across the Teams for implementation as stake holders to ensure People, Equipment, Policy, Expectations and Materials performance targets are met to win each shift.
- Produces visual and single page reports to ensure the operations team is calibrated on performance against schedule attainment.
- Ensures data is entered correctly so incoming, in-process and finished goods meet yield, inventory, and customer service targets.
Process & Procedure Leadership in this Key Role
- Lead in documenting workflow, optimizing, and visual communication of business processes to ensure continuous improvement.
- Develop and communicates clearly expectations with the logistics function for all relevant certifications related to freight, DOT, food safety, etc.
- Provides methods and tools that result in excellent customer service while maintaining lowest inventory levels possible.
- Provide backup coverage in executing any Supply Chain, Mill Shipping and Receiving tasks as needed by the business.
- Assist Pack Lead with the mill dock schedule in ASC, working with JADE and Customer Service on prioritizing our customer orders for bags and totes.
- Efficiently schedule dock appointments for customer pick-ups while tracking and scoring shipments to ensure drop dead ship date and times are met.
- Proactively communicate with the Pack Lead and warehouse on loading priorities by clearly communicating any specific instructions, loading notes, or shipping details; distribute determined workloads to each forklift operator, coinciding with the dock schedule and customer order priorities.
- Demonstrate a proactive approach to role by anticipating and assigning on-hand inventory to customer orders; proactively take periodic checks of the inventory on-hand, and reconcile it with the ASC inventory system; review inventory counts, and communicate any shortages/overages that are found.
Success criteria includes:
- Inspire the department to achieve continuously greater results through:
- Setting and communicating the highest of expectations for performance
- Constantly providing feedback on individual and team performance to these expectations
- Maximizing everyone’s potential through continuous coaching and development
- Building trust through establishing a personal relationship with every individual.
- Establish clear one visual communications for Mill, Pack, and Warehouse so employees can see the order and know whether they have won each shift.
- Creating a climate that respects and values each team member’s individual contributions
- Develop department of team members that are technically excellent through ongoing training, cross-training/job rotation and mentoring, to include:
- An in-depth understanding of the mill’s needs to guide mill production team’s efforts accordingly
- Necessary information and facilitation support for problem-prevention and sustained resolution
- Actively preparing and engaging employees in continuous process improvement
- Driving decision-making to the team member level
- Guarantee the safest workplace through building an environment where each person feels a personal sense of responsibility for not only their safety but that of their teammates
- Actively support all other mill departments as well as advance personal professional development through:
- Leading the planning, scheduling, strategic and change initiatives
- Leading and facilitating cross-functional action teams and projects throughout department
- Actively seeking expanded assignments
- Diligently endeavor to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by making positive contributions in production, quality, safety, and teamwork culture.
- Serve as mentor by proactively increasing other team member contributions through training, on-the-job development, and coaching.
- Ensure that department materials, labor, and equipment are used efficiently.
- Collaborate with relevant departments on recommendations of procedures for facility and department equipment maintenance or modification, including the replacement of machines.
- A proactive commitment to growing and expanding skill set through training and education leading toward expert competency in use of ERP tools and processes, leadership, development of team members, understanding department budget, superior communication skills, and professionalism.
- Personally committed to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all tasks required to support the Production group in the efficient operation of the plant.
REQUIREMENTS to help ensure success include:
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Technical school or bachelor degree in related field desired; equivalent work experience in lieu of degree considered. High School or GED required.
- Advanced computer competency required including typing, web browser, and Microsoft Office applications; competency of ERP best practice processes and tools and CMMS systems preferred.
- Previous experience in logistics, shipping, receiving, production planning, and scheduling required.
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment required; in particular a food safe environment, highly desired.
- Previous department management, leadership, and/or supervisory experience desired.
- Ability to execute work in a high paced environment with flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Ability to work autonomously using critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to complete assigned tasks safely without supervision.
- Demonstrate ownership of logistics function and processes.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and collaborative, team player approach.
- Ability to proactively drive continuous improvement project creation and execution.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to pack department.
- A positive, proactive demeanor resulting in a passion for excellence while being humbly confident and displaying a can do attitude knowing that good isn’t good enough.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Ability to safely work aloft (heights over 20’) including ladders, man lifts, harnesses, equipment tops and scaffolding.
- Ability to enter confined spaces, following all safety procedures, while in performance of job duties.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.
- Have dexterity and ability to maneuver equipment in tight working spaces.
Watch Our Story
- Computer Sciences
- Construction and Millwright
- Contractor Role
- Electrical and Controls
- Grain Team
- Production Team
- Quality Assurance
- Safety and Environmental